IRA Charitable Rollover
A special way to support NEPM if you are age 70 ½ or older.
A popular, tax-smart option for giving is a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA). To take advantage of this special opportunity, contact your IRA administrator today.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older and eligible to take your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD).
- Your total combined charitable IRA rollover contribution cannot exceed $100,000 in any one year. ($200,000 exclusions may apply for tax payers who are married and filing a joint return).
- Charitable contributions from an IRA must go directly to a qualified public charity. Contributions to donor-advised funds and private foundations do not qualify for tax-free IRA rollover contributions.
- Distributions can only be made from traditional Individual Retirement Accounts or Roth IRAs. Charitable donations from 403(b) plans, 401(k) plans, pension plans, and other retirement plans are ineligible for the tax-free treatment.
- Distribution must be made directly from the IRA trustee payable to NEPM.
- In order to qualify for tax-free treatment, you cannot receive any goods or services in return for your charitable IRA rollover gift.
- You must receive an acknowledgement from NEPM for a rollover-qualified gift.
Benefits to you:
- You can use an overlooked asset to make a gift to NEPM.
- The IRA Charitable Rollover permits you to make a charitable gift directly to charitable organizations such as NEPM from your IRA — which means you can enjoy tax savings while supporting our mission to educate, inspire and entertain.
- You don’t recognize the distribution as income for federal income tax purposes.
- The distribution counts towards your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for the year.
Make an IRA Gift to NEPM
If you are speaking with your plan administrator and would like to make a qualified IRA gift to NEPM, please share with them that our correct legal name is: New England Public Media and our Tax Identification number is: 04-6130523. Our Official Address is 1525 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01103.
Please have your plan administrator send checks to our mailing address:
New England Public Media, 44 Hampden Street Springfield, MA 01103
Attn: Sarah Monson.
We recommend that you seek advice from your accountant or financial planner prior to making a charitable rollover as personal circumstances can have a significant impact on whether charitable rollovers are advantageous. In order to benefit from a 2017-eligible IRA contribution, please contact your IRA administrator as soon as possible as some administrators may place a deadline on requesting transfers.
For more information about making a Charitable IRA Rollover gift to NEPM, please contact
Sarah Monson at Sarah_Monson@nepm.org or 413-258-8652.