Baker and Polito won't run again: what it means
There will be no third term for Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. He and Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito will not run for any public offices next year, according to a joint statement they released Wednesday morning that has shaken up the Massachusetts political world.The decision leaves the Republican Party of Massachusetts with one declared candidate at the moment. That is former State Representative and Donald Trump supporter Geoff Diehl. A recent poll of likely 2022 Republican Primary voters showed Diehl with a strong lead over Baker. Other polls have shown Baker as the favorite to win a general election contest.
The three declared Democratic candidates, Ben Downing, Sonia Chang-Diaz and Danielle Allen are all viewed as progressives. The question now is without the challenge of facing Baker who else might joint the Democratic field. Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey has expressed interest.
And Another Thing analyzes these developments with:
- Peter Kadzis, GBH News Senior Editor and Political Analyst
- Jane Swift, former Republican acting Governor of Massachusetts
- Ben Downing, Democratic Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts
- Sonia Chang-Diaz, Democratic Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts
- Danielle Allen, Democratic Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts.